Ads 468x60px

Automobile

Thursday 25 January 2018

Driving a Gullwing!

Zen Woman Driver on Board- A Cliche?Mercedes-Benz 300 SL with open wingdoors, Jul Krabetz looking to get off the automobile, Legs, Miniskirt, Switzerland

A Gullwing is an automotive industry term describing the special doors of the Mercedes-Benz 300SL. Originally designed to accommodate the tubular racing frame that weighs only 84 kilos, the open doors open upwards evoking the image of a seagull's wing. Creating awe in 1952, the Mercedes-Benz SL 300 and its road legal version of this Supercar was introduced in 1954 for special customers.

Closing a Gullwing door!

On a sunny day, we went to visit the beautiful village Montreux in Switzerland, nestled off the shores of Lac Leman. 
Eden Palace Hotel in Montreux, Weisses Haus mit Kirschblüte in Rosa
Eden Palace Hotel in Montreux
Mercedes Benz 300 SL mit offenen Gullwing Türen in Montreux, See, Berge, braunes Haus und Leute
 People are having fun with the Gullwing doors!
The scene was,  that the car and its gullwing doors caught everyone's attention!
Jul Krabetz öffnet skeptisch eine Tür vom Gullwing in Montreux, See und Baum
Closing the Gullwing door delivered a completely new meaning like you see in my facial expression, it was closing a vault.

The one million dollar car


On my way back to Mont-sur-Rolle, my friend stopped somewhere on a mountain road, exited the car, smiled at me and said- now it's your turn! I gave him a sceptical smile, and he spoke to me like only men can do it. "It is simple- you have been around for a long time driving your VW bug, so I confidence in you!" I agreed, stayed cool, but inside my heart was beating like crazy. Driving a one million dollar car on a steep road is so unbelievable for me, no words can describe this feeling! While I was driving, he started recording a video from me, which pushed up my nervousness. After some minutes, I calmed down and took to the road sprinting over the Lake of Geneva.

Driving experience with a Mercedes-Benz 300SL

Steering-Wheel and dashboard of a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL, Gullwing, Tacho
This particular, beautiful motor car, the Mercedes- Benz 300 SL was born than a racing car in the 50'. Some say and I agree now, it was one of the first Supercars after the war. It's a very heavy car, with a unique sense of balance.
Jul Krabetz in Gullwing mit offener Tür nach Testdrive in der Schweiz
We arrived safely at my friend's place
The road holding is very good and it has a very large steering wheel, but with less "clearance" than my VW bug had. The interior style is clean and strudy, and it was a unique driving experience.
Gullwing doors von Mercedes-Benz 300SL, karierte Sitzpolster,
For many, it is a must on one's bucket list. What pleases me the most is from any angle, interior and out, this motorcar is 'just right'.

A day with "Budda" at the vineyards

Weinberge in Rolle, Genfer See, Sonne, Häuser
Mercedes-Benz 300SL mit offener Motorhaube im Weinberg, Schweiz, Rolle
The next day we took the car with the impressive name 'Budda' (have a look at its license plate) to the vineyards overlooking Lac Leman, I was happy that my friend wanted to record another drive, so I had another go with this Supercar.
Mercedes Benz 300 SL von vorne im Weinberg, Sonne, Schweiz
I was relaxed now, and somewhat accustomed to this thrilling Mercedes- Benz 300 SL we took off down the little hills, around tight turns of the vineyards and up to 600 meters over the Lake.
Silberner Mercedes Benz 300SL mit offenen Gullwing Türen, Sonne, Weinberge

Woman driver on board


I was flattered to know my friend was waiting for me on our second day. Another outing with "Budda" made me very pleased to push the power of this lifetime experience. Through the vineyards, the car was moving like art. I had little problems to start up the car, as it was so different than my VW. I came very close to living the cliche on women and their understanding mechanics, but I mastered the >Budda< in a very zen way!


Jul Krabetz mit roten Schuhen steigt aus dem Mercedes-Benz 300 SL aus, Schweiz, Weinberge
I think this motor car wasn't built for women in mini skirt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 

Blog Archive

Credits

License: This free Blogger template is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License, which permits both personal and commercial use. For more specific details about the license, you may visit the URL below:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/





Contact us!

Name

Email *

Message *

Instagram

@carsinfashion_magazine View My Stats